Summer Ruche

Monday, September 27, 2010

Decking out the porch light!


Okay... so I will admit... I'm pretty proud of us on this one. It turned out so much better than I had expected!


So here is the story behind it...

My son has been asking to carve a pumpkin. We all know that if we were to have carved his pumpkin, mid-September, it would have been a rotted, nasty mess before Halloween arrived. So I knew our next craft would have a pumpkin worked in somehow.



The plan started out as just a painted cardboard jack-o-lantern, with orange tissue paper on the back. Then I thought we could light it, by making it a light cover for our porch light, and measured accordingly and attached it, using only pipe cleaners and 2 beads. (Let me mention here that the scary face was HIS idea)








But...

Since that took NO time at all, and he wanted to keep painting, I squashed one toilet paper tube and one paper towel tube, and cut them up. We then painted all 26 "leaves" and I tied them together with string and beads and tied them onto the light as well.







And VOILA!




We are both so proud of our front porch. :) He now insists on going out each night, to admire his handy work.






We used:
-cardboard (I used the back flap of an old notebook)
-red, yellow, green, and black paint
-string
-beads
-toilet paper and paper towel tubes
-orange tissue paper
-pipe cleaners

Tip:
Instead of orange tissue paper, you can flatten a coffee filter and paint it with water colors, and let dry.

2 comments:

  1. I just LOVE this craft. Wonder if I can get my almost 13 year old and almost 10 year old to make this. If not, I may just make it myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cannot get over how creative you are in the craft world. My daughter is always begging to do things like this and the best I can think of is 'uh...how about some paper and crayons??'. It takes me too long scouring the internet to find something age appropriate only to find that I don't have the items needed AND it's already past lunch time and Natalie is whining over starvation issues.

    Thus, (and for other reasons), I have deemed myself unable to be a homeschool teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete